313 Posts - Page: Previous | 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Beetwenty's B10 2 door

One day I'll get into the shed and do something interesting myself
One day I'll get into the shed and do something interesting myself
I know the feeling.
I've got 'Interesting' on pause while I save for a rebuild of my 38mm Hitachi carbs.
And what ever sorcery is needed to fit SU brand needles into them.
 
My brother suggested to me that I tackle the spendiest things first so my A14 swap to get some major financial hurdles out of the way.
 
One day it is going to get interesting on a regular basis. (Once I get all my bits sorted).
Im trying my best to keep my swap on one mod plate.
So all my making/purchasing lives in boxes for now.
I rather that than do a bit and cert it multiple times ending up with multiple plates uglying things up as my overall plan is for a "GX" 1000.
I feel an army of blue mod plates instantly kills that illusion.
I'll be mounting my plate in my boot as this is a legal placement in QLD, but I still only want just one.
 
Hope things are going well for you over your side of the country Neil.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
Lucky we don't need to affix a plate
 
I've got so much stuff here I barely know where to start
Have to build a Torana first and seel it (no I can't sell it unfinished)
Then I can do the paint on the Cadillac
Then I can start on the coupe racecar... thinking of an A12 block A14 crank deal for that
Dry sump , lots of tricks and secrets on that one
Then maybe I can build a road coupe with the old racecar A15 in it
 
But...no time , space nor money for any of it atm
I'm jealous that you don't need to affix any plates.
 
 
Can't help with time or money, however for space I recently had a redo of my garage space.
 
I put a pallet rack above my work bench, this created both storage space and a good framework for a tool board and bolt trays.
 
Made a world of difference to my avaliable room.
 

Is kind of an old pic, and have used space a little better since, but illustrates the concept well.
 
 
Plus, the work bench is separate to the pallet rack to separate vice enthusiasm from the shelves above.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
I have 100 sqm of shed , 35sqm of mez floor
5 cars in there and enough parts to build most of them
But no space to actually work on them
Now im jellous of your garage space...even if it is filled right up for no garage space.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
I have made myself a new aluminium heat shield for a set of carbs I plan to use in the future.

 
The outer profile is roughly based on what I believe to be a SSS, L-Series heat shied but shorter to suit my A-Series manifold Spacing.
 
I have also made a pressed section on the centre and a small return on the outer edge to add some stiffness to the sheet.
 
Spring mounts are just some cut up stainless steel hinges with a hole drilled in them.

 
Thought I'd post it up here and update my build diary.
 
Ash.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
It has come up very nicely. I like your outside the box thinking, repurposing the stainless hinges as the spring anchor point.
Thanks Benny.
 
I actually originally made a shield from steel and had my centre pressing in the opposite direction as the plan was to plug weld some steel mounts on from behind.
 

 
But decided to redo it in aluminium (which I have no idea how to weld) So put lump forwards to gain some bolt up room for something mechanical.
 
After some rummaging through random stuff... hinges caught my eye as a potential candidate.
 
So was more a case of use what I have than a well thought out plan.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
I have made myself a new fuel pump block off plate.
 
The general look I was going for is something that could pass as an old school racer part such as Nismo,HKS,Tomei etc.
 
Its not much, but I do like that I can add this as another subtle detail on my car.
 
I am super proud of it, so thought I'd post it up.
 
 
Ash.

1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
Nice
And how did you create this ?
Chopped up an old stereo amplifier on the radial arm saw at work. (using a blade we have that is specifically for aluminium as it has a different rake on the tooth profile to that of a timber blade).
 
 

This was just to get some finned stock as I had an old broken amp kicking about.
Otherwise I would have been just as happy to use a panel saw on thicker stock to create the fins.
 
Marked my shape on the flat backside of my finned stock.
 
Cut the basic outer shape with a 100mm skinny wheel on the grinder and then sanded to my scribe lines.
 
Cut off the unused fins where the bolts go with a hacksaw, and then filed that surface flat.

Slightly beveled the outer edges and also the ends of the fins as I thought this looked far nicer than it all ending at a hard 90 deg edge..
 
Peened the surface with a needle scaler as an attempt to create a cast alloy look.
 
 

Flattened the mounting face on my disc sander and then figure 8 paterns on a sheet of sand paper on a flat surface because the peening process had added a small ammount of warp to the mounting face.
 
Drilled holes for mounting.
 
And finally put it on the engine with a new gasket and some rtv silicone.
 
 
It was kind of hard to know where I was in relation to the fins on the opposite side to my scribe marks, but it all worked out for me in the end.
1967 Datsun B10 2 Door.
313 Posts - Page: Previous | 1 | ... | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16